A runny nose is a fairly common but troubling problem. This problem occurs when the amount of mucus increases in sinus or nose airways. Sinus is a type of cavity that is behind the bones of the face and is attached to the nasal pathways, the mucus grows in it. Increasing the production of mucus in the body is due to the illness of colds or flu viruses or allergens causing the body to attack.
If excessive mucus goes inside the throat, then due to this there may be a pain in the throat and burning or a cough. Removing fluid from the nose is a disturbing condition, but it cures itself automatically. Nasal flux may also be an indication of internal problems of the body in some cases.
- Symptoms of runny nose
- Due to a runny nose
- Avoid runny nose
- Screening of the nose
- Treatment of runny nose
- Complications of nasal flux
- Measures to stop runny nose
runny nose symptoms
What can be the symptoms of nasal raining?
If you see any of the following symptoms, along with a runny nose, you should show the specialist doctors of the ears, nose, and throat:
- Fever, chills, chest pain, difficulty breathing, severe pains in the head or neck, or abnormal drowsiness (nuisance) except for the nose.
- Feeling inflamed or blurred on the under eyes or cheeks with nose stop.
- More pain in the throat or white or yellow spots in the inside of the neck such as tonsils etc.
- Smelling of the nasal substance, staining on one side of the nose and any other color except yellow and white.
- A cough that persists for 7 to 10 days and causes yellow, green or blurred white colic.
- The above symptoms appear for more than 3 weeks.
Due to runny nose
Why does the nose flow?
Some common causes of nasal raining are as follows:
- Colds or flu – nasal raining for both colds and flu is a very common symptom. When you are afflicted with these diseases, your body starts to produce excessive amputation so that the bacteria can be trapped in or prevented. Some part of this sputum is released through the nose.
- Allergy – If you touch, eat or smell those things or substances so that you are allergic, then you may have a problem with the nostril. Animal hair and grass etc. Allergy produces the most common substances. Your body responds to allergic substances just as they are harmful bacteria, and for this reason, the nose starts flowing.
- Sinusitis – When your sinus or nose airways develop swelling, irritation, and pain, it is called sinusitis. This reduces the airways of the nose, causing difficulty in breathing, and mucus begins to form.
- If you have the above problem then the sputum can get out through the nose. In some cases, the sputum starts to go throat instead of the nose. Mucus caused by sinusitis is generally thicker, in which yellow and green spots can also be seen.
Other possible reasons –
There are also other possible causes of nasal raining, which may include:
- Deviated septum
- A headache
- Tobacco And Smoking
- Dry Air
- Sudden changes in weather
- Excessive use of spray used for nose
- Hormonal changes
- Influenza or Flu
- Any stuck in the nose or stuck
- Some medicines
- Nasal polyps (increased nasal or tissue layer of sinus)
- Asthma (asthma)
Risk factor –
The following factors increase the chances of nasal flux,
- Vulnerable immune system – A chronic illness or weakened immune system increase the risk of both nasal problems.
- Time and Season – Although cold may occur at any time, the chances of colds and flu are increased in the rainy season and winter season.
- Contact – If you are among a lot of people, like schools, markets or temples, then the possibility of getting in touch with the cold-growing virus increases further.
Prevention of runny nose
How can prevent runny nose ?
You can take some steps that can prevent some conditions causing runny nose.
To reduce the possibility of exposure to common cold and cold weather –
- Wash your hands frequently and keep them free of disease-causing microbes.
- Use tissue or cloth during the nasal run and throw it after use.
- After clearing the nose, wash your hands.
- Vitamin C is also used in the treatment of prevention of common cold and cold.
If you have allergic reactions, try to avoid allergic substances. This can be prevented by allergic symptoms, and these symptoms include nasal raining. Identify the substances and things that cause allergies to you and try to avoid them.
Do not consume cigarettes and other such stimulants which cause inflammation and irritation in the airways of the nose.
Nasal flux test
How to test/diagnose runny nose?
After taking the information of your previous medicines and health, the doctor starts physical tests, which focuses on the airways of the ears, throat, and nose. Testing is usually done by experts in the nose, ears, and throat.
This can include the following tests:
- Skin allergy test,
- Blood tests (to calculate the cells “eosinophil” in the blood. More counting in them indicates allergic reactions)
- Spit check (to check infection)
- X-ray of sinus and chest
- CT scan of the nose and “parasail sinus”
What is the treatment for runny nose?
Treatment of nasal raining depends on its underlying causes. In most cases, it is treated at home with the help of home remedies and in some cases, doctors may require treatment and medicines.
- If the problem of nasal raining is due to the common cold, its treatment becomes quite limited, because it cures itself in a few days. Just drink plenty of fluids and you need to rest.
- Colds and flu spread due to viruses, so antibiotics do not work, because they are meant to fight bacteria. If the flu is severe enough, doctors may prescribe some type of antiviral medicines. Antiviral reduces the recovery time, although most healthy people do not need these medicines. These medicines are mostly given to people who are ill and at higher risk.
- Anticholinergic Nasal Allergy Spray may be a better option for problems like sneezing and nasal stops due to allergic reactions.
- Antihistamines, drugs such as diphenhydramine and chlorpheniramine drugs may also be a better option for sneezing and nasal raining. These medications also have some side effects, such as drowsiness (nuisance) etc.
- Decongestant nasal spray such as pseudoephedrine, phenylephrine, oxymetazoline etc. These medicines also make significant improvements in nose and ear stagnation. Its side effects include high blood pressure and increased heart rate. Without the advice of the doctor, these drugs should not be used for more than 3 days.
Note: Do not use any medicine without the advice of a doctor.
- Bed rest – There is a considerable significant reduction in the time of recovering from getting complete sleep and giving complete rest to the body.
- Wash nose with salt water – Washing the airways of your nose with salt water causes the virus inside the nose to get out and the blocked nose gets cured. Before using, it is necessary to boil the water, after which the nose can be washed by bringing it to normal temperature.
- Steam-Taking steam also helps in opening the nose stuck, this process provides considerable comfort in the loaded or flowing nose. To take more dose of steam, put hot water in a vessel, then put your face over it and cover it with a towel or thick cloth from all sides. You can also take a good amount of steam by shutting the hot shower in the bathroom and closing all the windows.
- Vitamin C – Vitamin C is also widely used to cure colds and flu, with orange and lemon consumption.
- Eucalyptus oil – Put hot water in a large vessel and put some drops of Eucalyptus oil in it. After that, as mentioned above, process it with towels. With the help of Eucalyptus oil, it is also useful to repair the symptoms of filled and nose.
Nasal congestion complications
What are the complications of nasal flux?
Although there may be many possible causes for developing runny nose problems, the most common causes are allergic and infection. The problem of nasal flux can be from a substance or object, which stimulates the nasal tissues. The paused nose usually cures itself in a few days. If it is not treated in time, it can cause a cough, earache, headaches, and many other problems.
If anyone have problem with size and shape of their nose then we recommend them to do rhinoplasty surgery to get better look.